Thoughts on Greatest Love and the Hong Sisters

It’s taken me absolutely forever to get to episode 4. Aside from the fact that I literally had no time, the episodes feel like they take forever even if they’re only an hour long. I am less amused by the Hong Sisters than I was before. After a while, their gimmicks are all the same, and the story line doesn’t feel as fresh as it used to.

I have to say that so far the only thing that gets me interested in watching is Cha Seung Won. He may be over the top, and ridiculous (especially when he does facial gymnastics) but it’s funny to see the guy who does so many serious roles do something totally wacky. I won’t say that Gong Hyo Jin is boring, but she doesn’t have much to work with. She can just play her character straight and it’d be fine. She’s cute with Yoon Kye Sang, but that’s about it. They’re not interesting or complex characters. There’s so many things that I don’t have to even watch, and I would still get the gist of the story – and that’s a waste of my time.

And that’s what I’m kind of tired of – the whole sameness of an arrogant or “awful” male lead and the sweet girl. While they had the same trope in previous dramas, I infinitely enjoyed My Girl more and can rewatch it. My Girlfriend is a Gumiho and Greatest Love I can’t, and that’s because they’re too similar in tone and atmosphere to each other and You’re Beautiful. In fact, probably the reason why I loved You’re Beautiful is because it was the first of its kind for the Hong Sisters. It was making fun of the industry and funny and gimmicky. However, now it’s getting old. My Girl may have been pretty regular and typical for a K-drama, but I think the actors had more to work with in regards to their characters. For this drama, I feel like all the characters in Greatest Love are pretty one-dimensional.

On top of that – I despise – despise – the soundtrack. Not the songs on the OST per se, but the background music and sound effects. Must you be so literal with the kissy sounds, the heart beating, the burps, etc? If it’s part of the charm, well, it’s not charming at all to me.

I want the Hong Sisters to do something different this time around, instead of going further with punny jokes and witticisms. Perhaps I just can’t appreciate the full effect of the jokes because I don’t understand Korean, but I think I could enjoy the drama even if it’s half as funny. As long if it’s new, and I don’t feel like I’m watching something predictable, then I would enjoy Greatest Love so much more. The thing about Lie To Me is that Yoon Eun Hye and Kang Ji Hwan are charming together, and so I could deal with the predictable storyline. Cha and Gong are charming – individually, not necessarily together.

I hope to change my mind about it after episode 4, and I’m watching it because I’d like to formulate a better opinion about this series and the Hong Sisters. However, I don’t want to forget my thoughts on this drama so far, so I’m writing it down now. I’m also watching the series via DramaFever.

Enter your email address and get notified of new posts!

11 comments

Add yours
  1. minalapinou 6 June, 2011 at 19:53 Reply

Hello ! French reader here (Sorry for the spelling mistakes and syntax errors ^^;). I really really like your blog and find most of your opinions conform to mines, and Best Love is no exception!

I was kind of desperate to see everyone praising this drama and being incapable to appreciate it myself. I came to wonder if I saw the same drama as everyone else, because I didn’t see any of the genius they talked about. Been there, done that. I’m really relieved to know that there is at least one person who found it draggy, with the exception of the parts with Cha Seung Won. My main problem is that I can’t connect emotionally with any other characters of the show. Ae Jung is you’re average Kdrama Cinderella and (for me at least) she has nothing special that could justify the love of both CSW and YKS. I find her to be the least charismatic heroine of the Hong Sister. That said Shin Minah’s Miho was amazing in MGIAG and the drama bored me to death. I’m not going to keep watching BL right now (I’m stuck in the middle of the fourth episode), but I will read your following opinions and decide what to do.

Oh and I literally adore Romance Town, my pick for best drama of the year so far. Love your recaps, they help me a lot to understand every little details I missed! It’s also thanks to you that I gave another chance to Sign, and I ended up loving it. So thank you for everything !

Merci encore et bonne continuation !

• kaedejun 6 June, 2011 at 22:56 Reply

Bonjour mon ami! Yes – you hit it on the spot – “can’t connect emotionally with any other characters of the show” – that’s my problem too! It’s quite frustrating. I won’t deny that I smiled a few times and laughed, but I usually laugh a LOT more, or feel very giggly.

sigh* But I am now on episode 5. Let’s see where it goes…

2. missjb 7 June, 2011 at 00:32 Reply

it’s a shame you didn’t enjoy it as much as i can. Haha

i still think best love is quite different compare to among hong sister’s previous works. the plot is not too focus between otp’s interaction. And that’s refreshing in hong sister drama to me. And All cast has been perfectly cast. and 2nd male lead character is more interesting and not boring or annoying.

• missjb 7 June, 2011 at 01:16 Reply

oh…. Yes Gong hyo jin’s character is a sweet girl. But what make it different is her character is not Clingy to the main male lead. she has pride so the heroes have to make a lot of effort to make she turn into him. How many leading lady hong sister has been create which the heroine fallin in love first?

3. Endon 7 June, 2011 at 05:55 Reply

I absolutely agree, and I’m surprised that so few people share this opinion. I’m hoping this doesn’t come across as sour or anything as a romance town fan, but I don’t get the hype on BL.
    My main gripe is that it is too campy and exaggerate. I wish sometimes they would play the serious moments straighter. While some people might find CSW’s facial gymnastics hilarious, and his up and down growls funny, I only found it funny in the first episode. Now it just detracts from the moment. Don’t get me wrong, I really do think BL has a great plot, and there has been some great moments, but it is way, way, way, too campy for me. To be honest, I thoughtthe same of you’re beautiful. I tolerated it in hong Gil dong, but it did get annoying at times.
    But I guess in these things, it’s all about taste. BL is a great drama, but from the way people go on about it- I’m confused. But I’m also confused about how Lie to Me has built a crazy (as in literally deranged) fandom. It’s all about personal taste IMO. You just get it or you don’t, but as long as it makes you happy, go ahead fangirls and boys 🙂

4. Liz17 7 June, 2011 at 10:22 Reply

Hahahaha I know! I also don’t find BL that great, that amazing… sometimes I even felt – everyone loves it and just me that don’t? And even if you don’t like it you still says DJ’s character is the most interesting and funny to watch. But not for me. While everyone laughs at his acting as DJ I can’t stand it… is just too annoying to me. Since the first episode I never get what is so funny… I mean the way he speaks is just annoying! lol I know! I love the jerk who will turn in the man who does everything for the woman he truly loves. But…….. something in him don’t appeal to me. I don’t connect with any character like some people said here and because that I don’t feel I can continue to watch the drama. I find D. Jin much more funny and easy to like when I read recaps. LOL Maybe because I can’t hear his voice and see his many – never- stopping face expressions.

5. endodo 7 June, 2011 at 12:58 Reply

I felt that way as well until last week’s episodes for Best Love, which turned my apathy into full-blown love. This is one Hong Sisters’ drama that is slower than the others in establishing a connection between the characters and the viewers. At least for me. Though I admit I’ve only finished 5 out of their 7 dramas, so I don’t know if their earlier works are any different from this one. So yeah, BL is OTT in the beginning, but it’s now finally taking a turn for the better. 🙂

6. Jairus Dizon 21 June, 2011 at 11:51 Reply

THE GREATEST LOVE is the GREATEST DRAMA OF 2011 after watching the 14th epsiode!!!! This is much better than LIE TO ME and any other korean dramas! Next to Secret Garden.

7. Cath Bukra 21 June, 2011 at 19:59 Reply

It is the BEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTT Drama of all time…legend…an icon…and a history to all kdrama…don’t dare say such pathetic coment of please there is such a verrrryyyyyyyyyy big difference between the two drama……rewatch it….

• greatest 23 June, 2011 at 04:51 Reply

absolutely AGREE!!!!!

love them soooooo muhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alll scenes are sooo interesting for me!!!!!!!!!
      hahahahahahaha

8. livvy 3 July, 2011 at 14:28 Reply

the only thing that made me watch the first episode was because of Cha Seung Won. I loved him in City Hall and that’s enough reason to try The Greatest Love. the only thing that grab my interest in the first episode was Dok Go Jin’s character. i find his expressions and catchphrases funny albeit i wasn’t that crazy with the way he speaks at first then i started to get the whole thing. we all have our own preferences and mine is TGL. TGL made me curious about the writers and this is the only time that i’ve learned that they also wrote one of my all time favorites, Delightful Girl Chun Hyang. I watched all their works without knowing who they are but because of TGL, i was curios enough to search for their names and works so i that means, TGL made a huge impression on me.

It’s officially my favorite kdrama for 2011 (used to be Secret Garden).

Post a new comment